Last week I received what looks to be a strange offer from Club Grazie offering me 5,000 points if I stay at the hotel and sign up to be a member. I can’t figure out what this offer is. I’m on the Venetian and Palazzo mailing list because I signed up for Grazie a couple years ago, so why the offer to sign up again?
This kind of offer also proves that Las Vegas Sands didn’t cut comps as everyone (including me) has reported. Rather, they are refocusing their “normal” members on gaining points a la Total Rewards. Caesars has been running point promotions forever in Atlantic City and while I haven’t seen this in Las Vegas, this seems to be very similar.
It’s interesting that the folks at Vegas Tripping received a similar offer, but weren’t asked to sign up but were just presented with the 5,000 points. Besides having poor presentation about the comps these awkwardly worded offers are poor reflections on a hotel that tries to present itself as a high end property.
It seems as if Las Vegas Sands is trying to combat the bad press from the no comps talk. While that makes sense it’s just plain sloppy.
I was chatting with some locals at the Diamond Lounge at Rio after I got knocked out of the poker tournament on my last trip to Las Vegas and they tipped me off that I could get my Grazie card upgraded at Venetian/Palazzo if I show them my Harrah’s Total Rewards Diamond card.
So, of course I upgraded my Grazie card from purple to gold, but it was a little late on the trip to have any real effect.
Unfortunately the upgrade is only for 3 months and my first impression was not good. I could not get a later checkout than normal and the room rates I was given were higher than I have ever seen.
There are quite a few perks with the gold card, but most important to me is access to the 24 hour Gold Club and 50% increase in points for play. Here are the extras you get with an upgrade.
• Guaranteed suite availability 72 hours prior to arrival
• Complimentary suite upgrade*
• Invited guest check-in
• Early check-in and noon late check-out*
• Complimentary shuttle bus service to and from the McCarran International Airport (limit 2 guests)
• Valet – Front-of-the-line priority service
• Venetian Gold Club Lounge access
• Slot Rewards points- Up to 50% more
• Priority Concierge phone line
• Priority show and restaurant reservations*
• Phantom – Receive $25 off Orchestra or Golden Circle-level seats
• 10% off select non-sale items at Venetian & Palazzo-owned retail shops**
◦ Venetian: Apothecary, Baccarat, Emporio D’Gondola, International News II, Mercato III, Newstand 2, Ricordo, Venezia, and Pool Shop
◦ Palazzo: Apothecary, Café Presse, La Fortuna, Prosecco, Seasons and Pool Shop
• Gondola Ride- 20% off tickets
• Canyon Ranch SpaClub ® – 10% discount on services**
• Azure – Complimentary entry for 2 (Thursday-Sunday)***
• Tao Beach – Daybed rental with $100 F&B purchase (Monday-Friday)*
• Tao Beach – Line pass and complimentary entry for 2 (Friday-Sunday)*
• Tao & LAVO Nightclubs – Line pass and complimentary entry for 2*
There is a lot of *stuff* given to gold card member, but most of it doesn’t interest me.
I have to get 10,000 points on my next trip to keep the status. I’m pretty sure I won’t, but it would be sweet if I did. They count cash spending 2-1 for points, so I’ll earn a few bucks drinking wine and eating steak, so ya never know!