Baseball Prospectus released their 2015 MLB Season Win Total PECOTA Projections last week. If you bet on baseball or play fantasy baseball you are probably familiar with the wealth of information available on Baseball Prospectus (BP).
If you’re not familiar with BP or PECOTA I’ll share some information after the standings. If you are familiar with BP and PECOTA you might find these projections helpful when looking at betting MLB season win totals and MLB futures. This is only a snippet of the information from Baseball Prospectus. There are definitely some surprises and projections I don’t understand right now and will have to dig deeper to understand. You can see the full projections on their site.
American League Standings Projections
National League Standings Projections
What is PECOTA? Here’s some info from Baseball Prospectus.
(PECOTA) Stands for Player Empirical Comparison and Optimization Test Algorithm. PECOTA is BP’s proprietary system that projects player performance based on comparison with historical player-seasons. There are three elements to PECOTA:
1) Major-league equivalencies, to allow us to use minor-league stats to project how a player will perform in the majors;
2) Baseline forecasts, which use weighted averages and regression to the mean to produce an estimate of a player’s true talent level;
3) A career-path adjustment, which incorporates information about how comparable players’ stats changed over time.
Check out the PECOTA section of the glossary for more on the system’s intricacies.
Latest posts by Marc (see all)
- Manilow Residency To Continue In 2020 - October 18, 2019
- The NFL Is Gambling On Some Big Fantasy Sports (Betting) Deals - October 16, 2019
- Vegas News | G2E Preview + This Week Was a Blur - October 14, 2019